Creamy chicken and spinach curry
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled, chopped
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 500g skinless boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (mild or hot), to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek (optional)
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed
- about 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 3/4 cup light evaporated milk
- salt, to taste
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, while stirring, for 2-3 minutes then stir in ginger. Continue to cook, stirring, for 2-3 more minutes until onion just turns soft. Remove onion mixture from pan. Set aside.
2 Heat remaining oil in the same pan. Add chicken and stir-fry until lightly browned. Stir in curry powder and fenugreek (if using). Cook for about 1 more minute then remove pan from heat.
3 Place onion mixture, spinach (plus any liquid) and coriander in a blender or food processor. Blend until spinach is very finely chopped. Add evaporated milk and blend until sauce is smooth.
4 Return pan to heat and add spinach mixture. Allow sauce to come to the boil then lower heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. To check, cut a chicken piece in half to ensure there is no pink in the middle.
5 Season to taste then serve on rice with poppadums and Carrot and cucumber raita on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry powder.